Report August 2021
In a nutshell
We analyse Companies House “basic company data” up to the July 31st, 2021. We note a slowdown in company registration relative to July 2020. However, firm creation remains stronger than the same period in 2019.
- Business creation decreased 3.9% between June 2021 and July 2021.
- Business creation was 25% lower in July 2021 than in July 2020.
- The largest number of company registrations occurs in ‘Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles’ and ‘Manufacturing’. Closer to the end of July 2021, ‘Arts, entertainment and recreation’ presents an increase.
The chart below shows the daily company incorporations in the UK since January 2020. The lockdown periods correspond to our key dates timeline. Since July 19th, restrictions have been eased further in England.Download histogram data as:
Download statistics as:
- Business creation decreased 3.9% between June and July 2021.
- 13,687 additional companies were registered in July 2021 relative to July 2019.
- 19,498 less company registrations are noticed in July 2021 relative to July 2020.
- The median daily registrations were 47.3% higher in July 2021 than July 2019.
The chart below shows the rolling average of firm creation since January 2019. Shaded areas correspond to lockdown periods as shown our key dates timeline.Download rolling average data as:
Company registrations persistently exceed their 2019 levels. This effect is strong regardless the third national lockdown. However, we notice a slowdown, which continues from the previous month, in July 2021 relative to July 2020.Download data as:
Daily average company registrations in July 2021 are 24.94% lower than July 2020, but 30.4% higher than July 2019.Download data as:
The map shows the average percentage change in new registrations in July 2021 compared to July 2019.
The following graph aggregates business creation by country. London, followed by Wales, dominates business registrations.Download data as:
Within London, most of the business creation in July 2021 comes from Central, North and West London.Download data as:
The graph illustrates company registrations in July 2021 relative to 2019 by industrial sector. It compares the percentage change in 2021 relative to 2019 for each week of the year. We use 4-digit SIC levels (ONS “Classes”) and group them into broader sectors (ONS “Sections”). We use the ONS classification. We show a selection of sectors that present notable changes.Download data as:
- July 2021 retains higher firm creation in most sectors than July 2019.
- ‘Wholesale, and Retail Trade’ and ‘Manufacturing’ sectors keep showing the greatest increase in firm creation in July 2021.
- Towards the end of July 2021, ‘Arts, entertainment and recreation’ presents an increase.
- Compared to July 2019, in July 2021 there is more than a 300% increase in business creation for ‘Repair of communication equipment’, ‘Demolition’ and ‘Raising of other animals’ sectors.
- There are lower registrations relative to June 2019 in ‘Warehousing and storage’, ‘Construction of railways and underground railways’, ‘Service activities incidental to land transportation’ and ' Veterinary activities'.