Report December 2021
In a nutshell
We analyse Companies House “basic company data” up to the November 30th, 2021. We note more company registration relative to October 2021. The firm creation among active firms remains stronger than the same period in 2019.
- Business creation increased 4.3% between October 2021 and November 2021.
- Business creation was 2.1% lower in November 2021 than in November 2020.
- The largest number of company registrations occurs in ‘Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles’ and ‘Transportation and storage’.
The chart below shows the daily company incorporations in the UK since January 2020. The lockdown periods correspond to our key dates timeline.Download histogram data as:
Download statistics as:
- Business creation increased by 4.3% between October and November 2021.
- 26,248 additional companies were registered in November 2021 relative to November 2019.
- 1,411 less company registrations are noticed in November 2021 relative to November 2020.
- The median daily registrations were 65% higher in November 2021 than November 2019.
The chart below shows the rolling average of firm creation since January 2019. Shaded areas correspond to lockdown periods as shown our key dates timeline.Download rolling average data as:
Company registrations persistently exceed their 2019 levels. However, we notice a slowdown, which persists the last few months.Download data as:
Daily average company registrations in November 2021 are 2.1% lower than November 2020, but 67% higher than November 2019 among the active firms.Download data as:
The map shows the average percentage change in new registrations in November 2021 compared to November 2019.
The following graph aggregates business creation by country. London, followed by Wales, dominates business registrations.Download data as:
Within London, most of the business creation in November 2021 comes from Central, South East and East London.Download data as:
The graph illustrates company registrations in November 2021 relative to 2019 by industrial sector. It compares the percentage change in 2021 relative to 2019 for each week of the year. We use 4-digit SIC levels (ONS “Classes”) and group them into broader sectors (ONS “Sections”). We use the ONS classification. We show a selection of sectors that present notable changes.
- November 2021 retains higher firm creation in most sectors than November 2019.
- ‘Wholesale, and Retail Trade’ and ‘Transportation and storage’ sectors show the greatest increase in firm creation in November 2021.
- Compared to November 2019, in November 2021 there is more than a 300% increase in business creation for ‘Combined office administrative service activities’, ‘Publishing of computer games’, `Other retail sale not in stores, stalls or markets' and ‘Non-specialised wholesale trade' sectors.
- There are lower registrations relative to November 2019 in ‘Activities of holding companies', ‘Engineering activities and related technical consultancy’ and ‘Renting and operating of own or leased real estate'.